Office Manager & Assistant to the CEO
The Office Manager & Assistant to the CEO (a full-time role) ensures that the foundation’s internal operations are effective, efficient, and responsive. This role also helps maximize the CEO’s productivity. The Office Manager & Assistant to the CEO will be empowered to run AAACF’s internal operations and take full responsibility for achieving excellence and continual improvement of those operations. This position should adopt a positive, “servant leader” mindset that embraces administrative tasks and CEO support as important means for helping the foundation achieve its charitable mission. The Office Manager & Assistant to the CEO will be tasked with developing an “internal administrative services” culture and customer service mindset within the foundation so that the organization’s other teams can rely on the Office Manager & Assistant to the CEO and the Administrative Assistant to proactively and enthusiastically help them achieve their goals and to provide optimal service to external constituents as well.
The Office Manager & Assistant to the CEO will supervise a 0.8 FTE Administrative Assistant, report to the CEO and provide active support to the other functional teams within AAACF (Finance, Community Investment and Philanthropy). For accounting-related work, the Office Manager & Assistant to the CEO has a dotted-line reporting relationship to the Chief Financial Officer.
This role involves an active combination of direct, hands-on daily work, management of a direct report and outside vendors, as well as collaboration with and support for the CEO, the Board of Trustees, and other teams. It will ultimately be in the Office Manager & Assistant to the CEO’s discretion how the following duties are divided between this role and the Administrative Assistant.
Supervision and Backup
- Supervises and directs an Administrative Assistant who greets visitors and handles much of the foundation’s daily administrative transactions (including gift processing, accounts payable entry, accounts receivable entry, data entry, mail handling, filing, etc.)
- Ensures that the Administrative Assistant’s functions are performed daily even when that person is not in the office, either through hands-on backup or less frequently through the activation of the Business Intelligence & Systems Coordinator as a secondary backup for non-accounting-related essential functions (e.g., mail handling).
- Ensures that staff has the administrative support it needs to be successful
- Ensures that the foundation’s office remains clean, classy, and functional
- Ensures that visitors feel welcome and cared for
- Manages all logistics (pre, during, and post) for hosted events
- Ensures that the office remains open and staffed during regular business hours
- Monitors and maintains office supply inventories and coordinates supply orders
- Provides administrative and logistical support (with additional active support from the Administrative Assistant) for all AAACF committee activities (including scheduling, packet preparation, in-room set-up, and minute taking)
- Takes lead role in preparing periodic (every three years) National Standards re-accreditation applications and ensuring annual ongoing compliance
- Partners with the Business Intelligence & Systems Coordinator to manage AAACF’s physical and digital records retention policy, ensuring that office records are well-organized, protected, and available on a timely basis
- Actively coordinates with the Business Intelligence & Systems Coordinator, who has primary responsibility for the foundation’s software systems, hardware systems, web services, and other technology-related assets
- Maintains updated digital conflict of interest forms for all committee members with systems support from the Business Intelligence & Systems Coordinator
- Actively manages the CEO’s calendar, including meeting scheduling
- Serves as the CEO’s liaison with community members
- Coordinates the provision of governance support services to the CEO (with additional active support by the Administrative Assistant). Governance activities include scheduling of the Board and the Trustee Committee meetings, meeting packet generation for those two groups, minute-taking in those groups’ meetings, and planning and organization of activities between meetings
- Coordinates the provision of other administrative support to the CEO’s activities as needed (in conjunction with the Administrative Assistant)
- Oversees AAACF facilities, coordinating maintenance and improvements to the physical structure as well as furniture, fixtures and equipment
- Serves as the foundation’s liaison to the building co-owner for matters concerning the parking lots, facility exterior, facility common space, and maintenance services provided by the co-owner to the foundation
Human Resources Support
- Administers a range of HR activities in partnership with the CFO and Staff Accountant
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Office Manager & Assistant to the CEO, and it is expected that this position will handle other related activities as needed to achieve a robust administrative and customer service function within the foundation.
Experience and Education
- At least five years of professional experience in an administrative management role
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree is a plus but not required in the case of applicants with highly relevant work experience
- Project management experience, with formal training a plus
Desired Skills and Personal Qualities
- Pays attention to detail and has very strong organizational skills
- Strong desire for a career in the administrative management field
- Embraces a “servant leadership” mindset and sets a positive tone in the office
- Takes pride in providing outstanding care and service to customers and constituents
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Solid office software skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Professionalism, diplomacy, and strong judgment, including respecting confidential and sensitive data
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and tasks simultaneously
- Enjoys and thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Has a positive, problem-solving mindset, including a sense of humor and the ability to effectively navigate potentially stressful situations
- Believes in AAACF’s mission
To Apply for This Position
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should be addressed to Neel Hajra, CEO. You may also direct questions about this job opening to the same email address (no phone calls, please).