The Dexter Community Fund (DCF) is a source of community capital that is available to invest in a wide range of initiatives, projects and organizations that enrich the quality of life in Dexter. This fund supports projects and nonprofit organizations across a number of areas: arts and culture, education, the environment, youth, senior services, health and wellness, human services, and/or community improvement.
DCF Grant Priorities
In 2018, the Dexter Community Fund conducted a Community Needs Assessment with more than 30 community leaders participating representing the city, townships, local churches, school district, sheriff’s department, and local nonprofits. The highest priority needs identified became the grantmaking priorities of the Dexter Community Fund. These priorities are:
- Services/programs for seniors
- Mental health services for youth and adults
- Improved outdoor recreational opportunities
- Services/programs for teens
- Services/programs for the homebound
- Programs to enhance arts & culture
Professional Management. Local Commitment.
As a geographic field of interest fund of the Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation, DCF benefits from AAACF’s professional program staff, fund management, and investment expertise. The Dexter Community Fund is advised by a dedicated Advisory Committee of local community members who work with donors to build the endowment fund, promote the Fund in the Dexter community, and review grant applications.
Why Give to the Dexter Community Fund?
The Dexter Community Fund offers an opportunity to support the community we love and leave a legacy for future generations. It supports projects to address high priority community needs and enrich the quality of life in the community. View a list of reasons to give to the Dexter Community Fund. For Good. For Ever. For Dexter.
Past Grants Awarded
In 2017, the Dexter Community Fund awarded its first grants. As DCF’s endowment grows, the Fund will address the changing needs of the community and it will have an even greater impact touching the lives of every resident in the Dexter community.
- Dexter Area Historical Society (Gordon Hall)
- Dexter Senior Center
- Faith in Action
- His Eye is on the Sparrow
- Dexter Senior Center, to support seniors’ participation in fitness classes
- GrieveWell, to provide workshops in Dexter to support healthy grieving
- Girls Scouts Heart of Michigan, to support the establishment of two new troops in Dexter
Quotes from past grantees:
The Dexter Senior Center – “We are very pleased to receive this generous gift from the Dexter Community Fund. We look forward to using it to grow our senior fitness program in the coming year!” Wendy Smith, Director, Dexter Senior Center
- The Dexter Area Historical Society – “The Dexter Area Historical Society is very pleased to be the recipient of a $500 grant from the Dexter Community Fund to support the renovation of Gordon Hall.” Beverly Hill, President, Dexter Area Historical Society
- His Eye is on the Sparrow – “We are very grateful for the grant from the Dexter Community Fund. The funds will help us to continue to provide high-quality care to our residents and assist us in maintaining and making improvements to our home in Dexter.” Kathleen Boyes, Executive Director, His Eye is on the Sparrow
- Faith in Action – “As we approach the new school year, Faith in Action will work to guarantee that all students in the Dexter Community can begin their year with the tools needed for their success.” Nancy Paul, Director, Faith in Action