Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation

The Anna Botsford Bach Fund for Seniors

Established in 2003 by the Board of Directors of the Anna Botsford Bach Home, this Fund supports the needs of seniors. Funding priority and consideration is given to programs that specifically support caregivers and caregiving.

Originally opened in 1909 at State and Kingsley, the Anna Botsford Bach Home offered older women in Ann Arbor without family or resources a safe place to live out their retirement years. In 1927, the Bach Home moved to a spacious 17-room residence on West Liberty where it continued to operate until 2002, when it was no longer feasible to keep the facility open.

Intent on continuing the Bach Home’s mission long after it closed, its Board of Directors transferred proceeds from the property’s sale and other assets to the Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation to establish a permanent endowment to support the needs of local seniors.

Since 2003, the Fund has awarded more than $1.14 million in grants to support programs at local agencies - including those at Neighborhood Senior Services, Housing Bureau for Seniors, Jewish Family Services, Catholic Social Services, and the Blueprint on Aging.

 
Anna Botsford Bach was the third wife of a local businessman and former  Ann Arbor Mayor Phillip Bach. In 1900 Anna and a group of local women formed the Old Ladies Home Association to raise money to open the retirement facility later known as the Michigan Women’s Home and the Aged People’s Home.  Anna served as the Association’s President until her death in 1915.  Two years later, the Home was subsequently renamed in her honor. 
 

  To Make A Gift.